Monday, November 20, 2006

November 20th - It's Pottytime, Woody*

I haven't posted about potty training in a long time, mostly because it makes me want to scream in frustration. Way back in January (oh my gosh - can it really have been that long ago???), I asked for guesses about when the kids would be dry during the day. The latest guess was September 1st, and at the time I thought that was ridiculous.

It's November 20th. Neither kid is potty trained.

Ethan is very close. He will use the potty when asked, and asks to use it about half the time he needs to ask. Recently, he has been waking up in the night to go potty. He likes to wear underwear. More important to the process, he likes to gain approval from his mom and dad.

Abby is another story entirely. She goes through cycles of doing really well, and cycles of not caring one bit about the potty. She doesn't mind a dirty pull-up, but underwear is another story (she will sneak into the bathroom and change her own underwear if she has an accident - she can't stand being wet). We have tried so many different things with her. Stickers, sticker charts, M&Ms, calling Daddy, big praise, little praise, no praise, a talk from her pediatrician, using action figures to ask her to use the facilities, letting her dictate her own schedule, using a timer. None of these are the magical inspiration that has potty trained Abby. The only knowledge I have gained (the hard way, mind you) is that if she is resistant, the best course of action is no action. Forcing her to do something never works.

From everything I have heard from anyone who has struggled with potty training, the answer is simple. The kids will do it in their own time.

So.... anyone want to revise their guess? ;)

*The real line is "It's partytime, Woody" (from Toy Story)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mother (god bless her) when I thought I would have to send one of them to kindergarten in a diaper told me" the fruit would fall from the tree when it was ripe" whatever that meant....but none of them went to school in a diaper so I guess she was right, be patient no one ever went through life yet in a pull up.!!
keep your sense of humor , you will so need it as you go along.
Love Aunt Mary

Kary said...

I could write that same post from our house. Owen turned 3 in June and the idea was that he would get potty trained over the summer. We, too, tried every gimmick. He was 100% perfect with nothing on, but once we put on anything (underwear, pullup), he used that as license to go in his pants and didnt' seem to mind a bit.
Owen was SUPPOSED to be potty trained when he started school in September. Imagine my fears every day when I pick him up and the teacher has to tell me that she changed his messy diaper. The embarrassment of that can't rule me though. Because, like you, nothing we have done works and I just keep telling myself he will do it when he is ready. We talk about it a lot, but no "click" yet. I guess I will just have to be the parent that hangs my head when I pick up Owen at day care and be told that he had another messy diaper.
This, too, shall pass. RIGHT??

the quists said...

I hate potty training!!!


My guess is 8 months from now.

I don't know if that is too long, or ridiculously optimistic. I think it will be longer for Lana. :(

Jennifer said...

Okay. This will most likely be another experience where Emma will have spoiled us. She was potty trained for the most part at daycare. Once she got started there, she told us when she had to potty on her own. We never did much of anything to add to the process. No time in the buff. She has only wet the bed at night two or three times - and usually just enough for her to catch herself. Who knows what will happen with Allison. Our pediatrician said that kids will potty train themselves when they're ready. Have a potty available and don't worry about it. Allison uses it some at home and some at school, but her diaper is still on the verge of being over full each morning. Getting her out of the habit of drinking before bed will be a challenge.

I wish us all the best of luck!