Tuesday, September 19, 2006

We're In For It

I've been participating in my church's babysitting co-op for one full year now. And boy, oh boy, do I love it.

Last schoolyear, we had 8 moms with 12 kids participating. The kids were great, got along pretty well, the spats were minimal. Over the summer, 3 of the moms had dropped out. We had 5 moms with 9 kids, an easy load for 2 moms to handle (although we hired babysitters for most of the summer - well worth the cost!) The kids were mostly buddies.

Now, we are recruiting. One of the moms dropped out for this schoolyear, and two new moms have joined. As of right now, there are 6 moms with 11 kids in the co-op.

I had "the pleasure" of working the co-op last week with one of the new moms. It was the most hectic co-op I've ever worked. It wasn't just one kid that was causing commotion, it was a majority of the kids. We would turn our backs for one minute, and two kids would be crying and reporting that the other had pushed/pulled/taken their toy/kicked them/you name it. Ethan was personally in time out 5 times for being a really big stinker. It was crazy. I needed a wine cooler after it was over. Truly.

Over the last few days, I've tried to figure out what is different? Is it because we have four new kids to the co-op right now? Are the kids too close or too far in age to play nicely? What's going on?? And then it struck me.

Testosterone.

Right now, we have two girls and NINE boys. And boy, oh boy, oh boy, does it show. The boys play off each other, are more physical with each other and are just generally louder and messier than our girls. I'm sure there is some mathematical algorithm that would show that a 9:2 ratio of boys to girls approaches insanity.

Wow, are we in for it.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

That was the same ratio for my religion class last year. If they were not old enough to be reasoned with, I'd still be in the looney bin. :) Good luck! Drink a wine cooler for me!

Jenny said...

Ya gotta love those boys!!!!

Anonymous said...

Just think, I have 10 boys in my Cub Scout meetings! Thank heaven their parents stay too!!

Anonymous said...

I'm working on a breakthrough biomedical solution for harried parents. It's a tranquilzer for kids. Why should we medicate ourselves when we can go to the source of the problem?

My product will be called Whine Coolers!

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure that describes LTU.

(Mike)

Anonymous said...

Love Ethan to Pieces but, I'm sure glad I had four daughters to raise.I'll take screeching, whining and monthly periods over bouncing on furniture and a not so delicate hand on household items anyday. Poor Dad, he was truly outnumbered!!! Love, Mom or Gammers