Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Preschool, day 1

11:27. I park my car at the preschool, and casually walk inside. Several parents are waiting in the hallway outside the 4-year old room, listening to the teacher while staying out view of the kids. I quickly pass by to approach the 3-year old room. Peeking in through the tiny rectangular window in the door, I see Mrs. Sandy jumping up and down and clapping to music. Directly in front of her are 3 children, following along. A fourth is running around the room in wild loops, between tables and past the kids, over to the turtle tank and back around to the dressup area. "Maddie - we don't run in the room," Mrs. Sandy reminds in her firm, yet kind voice. I look over the 4 children. None of them are Abby.

I go to the second door in the room, and spot Abby. She's quietly playing with the train set by herself, not participating in song time (but then again, not being disruptive either). I'm not surprised to see her doing her own thing, she frequently likes to play independently. And when I get her to take her home, my nose tells me that she was playing by herself for a second reason... she was filling her pull-up, an activity that Abby does privately.

I move on to the 2-year old room, directly next door. I see 4 children sitting at a table while Mrs. Laurie watches over and helps. They are painting pictures on orange paper. They are so cute, intently working on painting in their clumsy way. I see Ethan with his paintbrush. Oh good, he's following along with the activity. My son, the rule-follower.

Then Ethan reaches over and paints all over Elliot's paper.

I think we may have identified some areas for potential improvement. ;)

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Both of your children remind me of Allison today. She has now taken to filling her diaper privately. Her dad did the same thing back in the day...

Ethan reminded me of Allison because that is something she would do - especially if the other child isn't doing something the right way.

It sounds to me like everything went well. Every child needs to learn the rules of engagement in group activities. Who knows what Elliot might have done earlier in the morning. :)

I am proud of you for already learning one of the other kids' names!

Anonymous said...

I still cant believe that Abby and Ethan are already in preschool! It seems like just yesterday they were learning to walk and talk.Now they are going to learn new things at school. WOW.It just shows that time flies-when your having fun! :)

CJ said...

He was just trying to be helpful, right?!?! I LOVE that age!