Thursday, September 14, 2006

Me Likey NetFlix

Hi. I'm Trista. [Hi, Trista]. I am an addict.

I am addicted to NetFlix. I've been a member since February 2002, where my addiction started forming during my free trial period. I have rented 334 DVDs since then. This equates to 6 DVDs a month.

Mark and I started innocently, renting the movies we had on our "to see someday" list. Classic movies we hadn't seen yet, or movies we saw previews for at the movie theater and said, "wow - that looks really good!," or movies recommended by family and friends. After a few months of movie-watching, we discovered - television series.

After our first series, we were irreversibly hooked. Who wouldn't want to watch 24 in the span of a few late nights, watching episode after episode until your vision becomes bleary, not having to wait to see the results of each cliffhanger the writers left you with? Who wouldn't want to watch a TV show instead of a movie, which doesn't require much concentration and can be completed in somewhere around 40 minutes? Who wouldn't want to skip all of the loud and obnoxious commercials? Most importantly, who wouldn't want to know Jack Bauer's next move immediately, instead of waiting a full week to see what happens next?

And so, in an effort to provide full disclosure of the magnitude of my addiction, I would like to share a list of the television series we have watched through NetFlix. So far.

  • 24, Seasons 1 and 2 (Season 1 was brilliant, but by the end of 2, the plot lines were so absurdly ridiculous we couldn't watch it anymore. Plus, I couldn't stand Jack's daughter)
  • Sex and the City, Seasons 1 to 6 (Who wouldn't think this show is amazing?? Me likey Sex and the City!)
  • The Kids in the Hall, Seasons 1 and 2 (Sketch comedy that is less scripted and predictable than Saturday Night Live)
  • Six Feet Under, Seasons 1 to 5 (I LOVED this series, and I don't think I've ever been so personally invested in fictitious characters before I fell in love with Nate, David, Claire, Brenda, Ruth and all the rest. And I BAWLED through the end of the series finale episode - it was the best finale I've ever seen.).
  • The Shield, Seasons 1 to 4 [waiting for season 5 on DVD] (WOW. Love the editing. Love the storylines.)
  • The Festival, Season 1 (not worth renting)
  • Nip/Tuck, Season 1 (this kinda stunk)
  • Curb Your Enthusiasm, Seasons 1 and 2 [season 3 is in our queue] (Larry David, co-creator of Seinfeld, is very witty, with his own brand of funny.)
  • Dead Like Me, Season 1 [season 2 is in our queue] (A series about grim reapers - what could be funnier? Is it a comedy? Or a drama? I'm still not sure.)
  • The Office [British version], Season 1 (we love the American version, and decided to try the original version. I couldn't even finish an episode of it, it was so boring and unfunny.)
  • Strangers With Candy, Season 1 [season 2 is in our queue] (An absurd premise for a TV series, but it's strangely laugh-out-loud funny.)
  • Arrested Development, Season 1 [season 2 is in our queue] (Very smart writing, hilarious!)
  • Lost, Season 1 [season 2 is in our queue] (WOW again - we love it! And watching it all at one time on DVD is the way to go!)

I'm not ready to give up my addiction just yet. Our queue also includes two new series (Deadwood and Wonderfalls), and eventually I'm afraid we'll have to start a love-affair with The Sopranos.

Can you help?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you COMPLETELY that watching television series' on DVD is so much better than waiting a week between every episode.

24 ends up getting more and more ridiculous as each season progresses. I've only watched the first 4, but I don't hold much hope for season 5.

Alias is pretty good for the first couple seasons, but seems to have drifted down the same stupid path as 24. Things just start happening for no apparent reason, and with no "bigger picture" in mind. Still, Jennifer Garner is hot, so I watch. :)

The Shield is excellent. As much as you want to hate Vic Mackie for shooting the cop and all the other crap he pulls, I really feel for the guy. There was an NPR interview with the producer of The Shield that got me interested in it. He also does "The Unit" starring the President from 24. Haven't seen any of it though...

If you really like The Shield, try The Wire from HBO. First two seasons are both EXCELLENT. Third season just started up on HBO.

Sex and The City is awesome and I keep meaning to re-watch all six seasons.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that completely broke down during the last episode of Six Feet Under. Lynn walked into the room and I was just gushing tears during the final scenes.

Nip/Tuck got better in the second season, but it still feels like B-movie TV. The son is _really_ creepy in season 2.

The West Wing is awesome on DVD. I finished watching alot of the episodes feeling like we're really getting cheated by the kind of spineless morons that inhabit the White House in real life. Martin Sheen is the president (or boss) you wish you had.

If you like that show, you might like Sports Night too (same guy produced it). It's a comedy about a ESPN-like sports show. It's got the one blonde gal from Desperate Housewives (Huffman?) and Nate from Six Feet Under.

Entourage is pretty good too.

The last one that you HAVE to check out is Freaks and Geeks. It's an 80's show, but it's excellent. I know I recognized way too much of myself and my junior / senior high friends in that show.

the quists said...

That is so funny that you HATED Jack Bauer's daughter too! We would get so pissed and yell at the TV that the show would be SO much better if she were never in it! Could anyone have done more stupid idiotic things over and over again? Just thinking about her makes me pissed! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh! Looking through the DVD's in the basement, I came across one more that's a great series... Oz.

It's about a maximum security prison. If you can get past the extreme violence, it's a really well done show.

Anonymous said...

Definitely the way to go for TV watchin'! But me no likey Sex & The City. Never got the appeal of that show. And can you believe that the classic show Twin Peaks isn't out on DVD yet?

Jennifer said...

Trista,

I admire your ability to scrapbook, raise your kids and still maintain a Netflix account in one lifetime. I can barely do the first two in my list. :)

My addition to your list would have to be Northern Exposure. I would really love to watch that series again. It's not going to have the cliffhangers, but I love all the characters so much.

Let me know how Season 5 of The Shield is - you'll probably watch it before we do. I love that show.

I love you more!

Gwen said...

Oh my!!! We have yet to try Netflix! My addiction comes right now in the form of DVR'ing every single baseball game of my hometown team! LOL!!! My husband bless his heart has been so patient with me! Lucky for him the season is almost over and he gets some television/movie time back! LOL!!! For his sake I hope I don't decide to try some of your television series!!! LOL!!!

Grace said...

We have a LOT of DVDs. Steve always buys them. If you have a list, we may have some, you're welcome to borrow them anytime.

Overwhelmed! said...

Oh yes, we are addicted to Netflix as well! We've been members since Nov 2003. We currently have 270 movies in our queue. :)

Oh, we like the Shield too! We Tivo it each week since it's on so late.