Monday, September 11, 2006

Understanding Marlin

Last night, before bed, Abby asked me to read her a book. Since Abby asking for help with anything is a rarity, I happily obliged. She chose "Finding Nemo," and there couldn't have been a more appropriate book for me to read.

Abby and Ethan started preschool today*. They will be in school two mornings a week. They will be under the tutelage** of two amazingly patient teachers. Abby will be learning from Mrs. Sandy and Ethan will be learning from Mrs. Laurie. They will be learning to respect and love two other women... women who are not me. In some ways, that's a very good thing. I've already written about the many good reasons to put Abby in preschool at age 3, especially with her personality. But it doesn't make it easy.

Last night, I could really relate to Marlin in Finding Nemo. He is a protective father who doesn't want to see any harm done to his son, Nemo. He is especially worried about Nemo starting school, where he won't have his father's watchful eye over him. While I'm not worried about Abby or Ethan's safety, I do worry about the things that won't be under my control while they're there (will other kids want to play with them? will they share toys with the other kids? will they know to listen to the teacher without my reassurance? will the teachers know the tricks I use to convince Abby to do things, or the way to get Ethan out of one of his "funks"? will my babies have fun at school, and develop a love of learning that will last through their lives? will they miss me? will they need me?)

I know logically that they will be fine. Preschool will help them with structure and help prepare them for Kindergarten. They will have lots of interaction with other kids and teachers in a classroom setting. They will grow. They will thrive. They will love it.

I just didn't realize how much I will miss their presence.

------------------------
*Ethan is in a 2-1/2 year old program, and Abby is in a 3-year old program
**sometimes I just like to sound smart.

Ethan's not actually bigger than Abby - he's just standing in the foreground. This was taken last week, before we left for preschool orientation. Don't they look old??

Ethan loved the train set and truck collection.

Abby went right for the dressup clothes.

This is some artwork they made today. Abby told me that she drew a princess, and it really does look like she made a face with eyes and a mouth. Ethan painted the picture on the right.

4 comments:

Mark said...

who would have thought that 6 hours a week would have such an impact on me... especially when I'm not even there for those 6 hours.

A pair of Marlin's, you and I.

Julie said...

"They will be learning to respect and love two other women... women who are not me."
I am SO with you with the "yikes, am I ready for this?" They'll do great. You will, too!

Jennifer said...

This is going to be a wonderful experience for everyone. I'm sure of it. You will find that they will be on their best behavior at school. It seems to be a common experience. It can be somewhat frustrating because kids can only stay on their best behavior for so long. That time ends when you pick them up. But, if you look at it another way, it is a good sign of your parenting. They know how to behave outside of their family unit. They learned that from you. It's also another common phenomenon that there are some children who don't have a "best behavior." You can additionally be thankful that your kids don't fall into that category.

I can't wait to hear how it goes!

Anonymous said...

Look at it this way--now you'll have time to start a second blog! :-)

The mind-blowing part is that school in one form or another will be our children's main life (outside of family life) for the next 20 years.