Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Two years ago today...

... I rushed to the hospital at midnight to see you born into this world at 2:02 a.m.
... I cut the umbilical cord that nourished you for nine months, that connected you to your wonderful birthmom S.
... I held your hand as you lay naked under the warmer, crying your little newborn cry.
... I murmured, "I love you, precious boy" over and over as the nurses poked and prodded you.
... I cried tears of joy, and tears of sadness for your birthfamily.
... I called Daddy and told him to find a sitter for Abby and come down to meet you.
... I held you for the first time, swaddled in your white hospital blanket with pink and blue trim.
... I watched your Dad hold you for the first time with such love in his eyes.
... I rocked you for hours in the hospital nursery, feeding you, changing your diaper, bathing you, snuggling you.
... I memorized your scent and the weight of you in my arms.
... I fell in love again.

Happy Birthday, Ethan.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Trista, you make me cry!

Happy Birthday, Ethan Daniel Vander Voord! Uncle Danny and I love you so much and would do anything for you. Being your godparents is such a wonderful honor. I hope that you always know that you can come to us for anything. We think of you always, but especially on your special days - your wonderful birthday and your Forever Family Day.

We can't wait to see you!!!!

Aunt Jennifer

the quists said...

Oh, I love the pictures! Give Ethan BIG hugs from us down here...and Abby wouldn't want to be left out, so give her BIG hugs too! We Love you!!!