Monday, February 27, 2006

A sad week

Sunday, we received two pieces of bad news within an hour.

My paternal Grandma passed away early Sunday morning. She was 92 years old, and the last of my living grandparents. She was living in a nursing care facility at the time of her death, and I'm sorry that it had been 3 years since I last saw her. During my "tween" years, Mom and Dad and I would visit Grandma at her assisted living apartment. She would make elaborate meals (she was a really good cook), and we would sit around listening to old songs and singing along. Grandma loved to sing, and so do I. God be with you, Grandma.

The infant son of friends of ours died this past Saturday. He was scheduled for open heart surgery for a heart defect, but didn't make it until the operation. He had just celebrated his one month birthday. Our friends have two older daughters as well (ages 4 and 2). My heart broke when I heard the news.

It's going to be a sad week. My Grandma's service won't be for awhile (she was cremated), but we will be attending the funeral of the baby on Thursday. I have been praying a lot for everyone touched by these two people. Sometimes, there doesn't seem to be an explanation for what happens in this world. We just have to trust in God's plan.

3 comments:

the quists said...

aghh...what words can I say...I am so sorry for your family and for your friends...You will all be in my prayers. I love you

CJ said...

My heart is with you and the people who have been hurt by the loss of these two souls. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I feel REALLY bad about complaining about not having electricity today! I am blessed. Thank you for reminding me of that!

Jennifer said...

I love you!