Thursday, February 09, 2006

Musical Meme

Meme: n (mëm): A unit of cultural information, such as a cultural practice or idea, that is transmitted verbally or by repeated action from one mind to another." In "blog-land," a survey of sorts to be written about on your blog and then passed along to others by "tagging" them and having them do the same.
________________________________________________________________________

I have been tagged by my new cyber-friend Tracy (who's writing is absolutely hilarious) for my first Meme! I'm so proud! I do have friends out there :)

The challenge: List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what the genre, whether they have words, or even if they’re any good, but they must be songs you’re really enjoying now. Post these instructions in your blog along with your seven songs. Then tag seven other people to see what they’re listening to.

________________________________________________________________________

1. Shania Twain, "Man, I feel Like a Woman." If you read my last post, you know that I'm a dancing fool right now, and this is the song to get down to. And GREAT music to clean the house with, also.

2. Allison Krauss, "Forget About It." I have been really digging female contemporary country artists for the last couple of years. I LOVE Allison's voice, and this song gets stuck in my head.

3. The Wiggles, "Toot, toot, chugga-chugga, Big Red Car." OK, actually most of my current music is for the toddler set. I do enjoy singing Wiggles songs - and I'm proud of it! Abby sings this whole song now while watching the Wiggles, and she can do the motions, too.

4. Vyktoria Pratt Keating, "Spider." I got turned onto Vyktoria by my good friend, Danny. She's folksy, alternative, and just plain good. And Danny included "Spider" in one of his Detuned Revue podcasts from a few months ago. "Spider" is a song where I put on the headphones and sing so loud that Mark has to snap his head and give me a look that says "shush up, I'm trying to work over here!" It's just that good.

5. Will Ackerman, "Sound of Wind Driven Rain" (instrumental). Will Ackerman is an amazing guitarist, who I discovered by accident by renting a CD of his from the library once. I loved it, and bought the CD shortly after. I have taken out this CD because we just saw "Brokeback Mountain" recently (loved the movie - but so sad), and the soundtrack sounds very much like Will Ackerman (but is actually Gustavo Santaolalla, apparently). This song is great background music for anything I'm doing.

6. They Might Be Giants, " The Guitar (The Lion Sleeps Tonight)." Or as Abby and Ethan call it, HEY! [which is exclaimed about 1 million times during the song]. We love to dance around the living room like crazy people to this song - it makes my heart smile. And can anyone tell me - "HEY! Who's that playing the guitar?"

7. ABBA, "Take a Chance on Me." This is my favorite song of ABBA's. It's fast and catchy, and if I really listen to the words, probably inappropriate for a married woman to be singing (unless she's pining for someone else - which I am NOT.) Oh well... "If you change your mind, I'm the first in line, honey I'm still free, take a chance on me!"

_______________________________________________________________________

OK, the songs are kinda lame and weird and all-over-the-place. Let's see if Mark, Jennifer, Danny, Steve, Lynn, or Tracy are up for the challenge. TAG - YOU'RE IT!

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

I have met your challenge! :)

Grace said...

Me too, but give me a couple of days, I have to figure out what I've been listening to lately! :)

Tracy said...

Loved your choices! My fave ABBA is Dancing Queen, which was my first "45." Thanks for the sweet plug.

Anonymous said...

ABBA--YES!

Challenge met. :-)

the quists said...

Ok, so it took me a while to figure out if I have listened to anything lately besides kid stuff, but I made it...check it out. :)
Love you!
Tracy