Sunday, February 26, 2006

Gender Experimentation

Whose is whose?

Mark and I try to raise our kids to be adventuresome. Anything they want to try, they should! Our job is to help them pursue their interests.

True to personality, they are putting a spin on gender identity! Abby is more of an engineer than a doting mommy to her dolls. Ethan loves to hug and rock dollies in addition to his love of all things vehicular. Ethan's favorite toy right now is the pink dolly in the photo. Abby's is the stuffed tiger (roar!) They both need these things to sleep with them in their beds, and "Dolly" and "Grrr" always make it into the car when we leave the house. The Pull-ups we buy are the Disney Princess variety and the Toy Story variety. Abby will NOT wear the princess Pull-Ups... she considers that punishment if she has soiled her Buzz Lightyears. But Ethan will choose the Disney Princesses 9 times out of 10.

I'm proud that my kids can experiment with so many things without feeling it's wrong or inappropriate. I say throw convention out the window and let them find out who they are. Someday, if I'm lucky, I might be the loudest football mom in the stands - cheering on my daughter. Or I just might be the proudest mom at the dance recital, giving a standing ovation to my son. It will make me so happy to see them following their hearts. I consider that success.

3 comments:

CJ said...

My father used to give me a hard time about my son playing with a doll I got him. "But boys who play with dolls grow up to be good daddies." I said. He got off my back after that!

Anonymous said...

What? Non-conformist children? *Sigh*...there goes the neighborhood! ;-)

Jennifer said...

I love it! With having two girls, I don't get any incite on the differences/misconceptions/expectations of the different sexes. It just goes to show that each child is a wonder, a unique creation from God. I wonder if Ethan is compensating for his sister's tomboyish personality or if he's trying to be like Abby and completely missing the mark? :)