Thursday, March 01, 2007

Sacrifices

Everything in life involves sacrifices. If you want something to be done quickly and inexpensively, you sacrifice quality. If you choose to eat that double-decker cheeseburger, you sacrifice a little bit of your health. If you want to take an expensive vacation, you sacrifice some of the luxury items you would normally buy in order to save for it (Starbucks!)

I have been wondering lately what Mark and I would be willing to sacrifice if we were in a worse financial situation than we are, or if Mark was in a different type of job. We are so blessed to be in the position we are in, where I can comfortably stay home with the kids. Of course, a lot of hard work is behind that blessing, the work of a brilliant engineer who is my husband. But if Mark had a position that paid less, we would be faced with choosing which sacrifices to make.

My friend recently reminded me that she grew up in a home where her dad worked 2nd (or 3rd?) shift. The job was a conscious choice by her parents so that her mom could afford to be a stay-at-home mom. But the sacrifice was that she and her sister grew up being primarily raised by their mother, and her father was less involved in the day-to-day child rearing. She remembers taking family vacations without her dad, because his work wouldn't allow for him to go.

I was also talking to my sister about a family she knows where the mom and kids live here, and the dad lives in another state. He is living there for business, but flies back "home" on the weekends when he can. These kids don't see their dad on a day-to-day basis, either.

I don't know how those wives do it. I need Mark every day. Some days, I can barely make it to 4:25, when he arrives home. He is my rock, and my soft place. I rely on him for so much.

And I don't know how those kids do it, living in an environment absent of their dads for a vast majority of their time. Do they grow up to resent them? Are they as close to them as they would be in other circumstances?

And I really don't know how the dads do it, missing the tiny details of the kids growing up. Mark is sad if he is gone for a weekend, he feels like he's missed so much. What would it be like if that was your every-day reality?

I realize that it is easy for me to decide how I would react if our financial situation went south, because I'm not in that situation. But I really feel that I would rather live in an apartment and have Mark working a regular amount of hours, on a regular schedule, than to live in a mansion away from my husband. I would also rather live a less lavish lifestyle in order to allow Mark to be the hands-on dad that he is (by him choosing jobs that might pay less but would provide more freedom). And as far as staying home with the kids goes, I would sacrifice my stay-at-home status before I would sacrifice Mark's time with the kids. As Jenny and Jennifer have proven, being a working mom can be a perfectly good choice for everyone in the family.

So - what sacrifices would you make (or have you made) for the financial strength of your family? Were they good choices?

4 comments:

Gwen said...

Well...I think everyone is different. I worked my tail off for 10 years until Mike finally made decent money so I could stay home. The problem is that the job he loves does cause him to work A LOT of overtime. He does get quite a bit of time with the children but it doesn't always come in every day increments. There are times he can be home on time most days and then there are times when the season gets rough and he is gone a lot. That is just the way it is for us. There are times I feel like I would rather he be doing something else but I know that is just who he is. It is a sacrifice. He works hard so I can be home. I don't know where I'm going with all of this! LOL!!!!! It's just for us we really don't have a choice. It's not that we could really have less (although we could and that may help some) because regardless of how much money we spend his job requires extra hours when the workload is there. Of course he could have gotten in a different field of work too! LOL!!! Now I'm rambling!

I guess the bottom line is...I think everyone is different and has to make different sacrifices.

LOL!! Lots of words and not too much said! LOL!!!!!

Jennifer said...

You know, I think that kids don't sometimes see or understand parental sacrifices until they are older. My dad started work each day around 2am so that he could be home for dinner every night. Although I enjoyed spending time with him, I often resented (especially when I was in grade school) having to be perfectly quite after 8pm. Now that I'm on the other side of the fence, I wish I could tell my younger self to be thankful because that minor sacrifice on my part enabled my mother to be home with me and gave me the opportunity to play with my dad. As you mention, that is much more precious than making noise after 8.

Jenny said...

It's funny because my sister called me immediately after reading my post. She wondered who made me mad enough to write that post. I definitely wasn't mad when I wrote it. Our conversation during our weekend sparked it, really. I don't think there is a blanket answer for everyone. I think you have to do what is right for your family. But, part of doing what is right means living with your decision. I just wanted people to know that you don't have to feel guilty for being a working mom. It just works for us.

Kary said...

I agree with Jenny--it is a balance that is personal that everyone needs to achieve. I don't consider not being a full-time stay-at-home mom a "sacrifice". On the flip side, I feel lucky to be able to work a couple days a week and have my children in loving day care situations where I can get a break and use my mind in different ways. I suppose I could stay at home full-time and we'd make it work, but I'd rather work at least a little bit outside the home. That is what works for me.