Friday, March 23, 2007

Our First Adoption Question

We have always been open with Abby and Ethan about their adoptions. We "discuss" it with them (more like a monologue, actually). We have pictures of their birthfamilies on the fridge and talk about them. I've even used other women's pregnancies to bring up the subject of how babies grown in tummies, and Abby and Ethan grew in M's and S's tummies. I've often wondered how much has been getting through.

Wednesday, when we arrived at preschool, we spotted another mom with her child entering the building. Something about her must have looked familiar to Ethan. He then asked me, "is that my birthmom?" I explained that no, it wasn't his birthmom, S.

Now that the door is opening, I'm curious to see what other questions are going to come out.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I think that it is great that Ethan asked about that. It shows that he's comfortable asking you questions. It will be interesting to see if your kids start coloring pictures for their birthfamilies like Emma does. It's hard to say what the future holds, but I do believe that we are doing the very best thing that we can to help them understand.