Monday, March 19, 2007

The Future of Fashion

Oh, how my children are learning new things. And boy, can I underestimate how developed their logical brains are.

Today, I brought out the summer clothes for the kids (I know, it's really early, but it was easy to do and I enjoy it, so there). After I washed the clothes, I let Abby have a fashion show to try on her summer outfits [I will have you know that nothing from last year fits anymore - that girl has grown like a weed again]. She tried on a few dresses that she liked. And then I tried to convince her to model a shorts set. A shorts set is a hard sell to a girl who would wear tights and skirts or dresses every day of her 3-year-old life, if I let her.

"Oh, Abby, this is so cute!" I exclaimed in an over-the-top voice.

"Yeah, so cute!" she agreed.

"Do you think you should try it on?" I asked non-commitally. "Just to see if it fits?"

"Ok!!"

And so she peeled off the 3 layers of dresses she already had on. Pulled on the shirt. Pulled on the shorts.

"Abby, you look great!"

Abby's face was annoyed. She started to tug on her shorts.

"I like your shorts, Abby, perfect for summertime!"

Abby frowned and wandered away. I helped Ethan with his hand-me-down Buzz Lightyear summer pajamas, happy that at least he was pleased. After a few minutes, I called to Abby. No response. The kids know that when I call their names, they should answer. I called again, this time louder. No response.

I got up and headed down to the basement. At the bottom of the stairs, I looked into the office. Abby was sitting on my desk chair wearing a guilty look and holding a pair of scissors. I freaked out. Abby started to cry. I felt bad and scooped Abby up after putting the scissors away, explaining the dangers of using scissors unsupervised.

On the way back up the stairs, a lightbulb went off. I realized what Abby was doing. And I verified it by examining her shorts.

She was cutting her shorts apart at the crotch seam to make a skirt.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Okay, since I wasn't there, I can laugh. She is too darn clever. I think that you need to look for 3t skirts and dresses for summer for that one. If you choose to fight it, you will die on that hill. :)

Gwen said...

Sorry to laugh but that is hilarious! What a smart cookie you have on your hands!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I don't know if Amanda will rejoice that she has two boys, or lament. The joys of a girly girl! LOL

Anonymous said...

You have another "Becky" on your hands. It was okay if she had a dress with matching "panties" but shorts...you must be kidding. It didn't help that Steve always wanted her in a dress. I would be more than glad to whip up some girlie clothes for that little darling.. I love sewing for both of the kids. Enjoy the moment. She is know dressing all in black or piercing strange parts of her body. Love you lots. Aunt Sue