Friday, December 29, 2006

Update on the appendix-less man

Mark was released from the hospital at lunchtime today (his surgery was at 11 pm yesterday, so we were happy to be released so early). He's taking Tylenol and the dreaded Vicadin for his pain, without negative side effects. He's sore, and has been sleeping a lot, and seems to be feeling a bit better tonight than he was earlier today.

The surgeon said his appendix was twice its normal size, but it was in a very favorable position for surgery and the incision was smaller than anticipated (about 1-1/2 inches, I would say). The appendix hadn't burst, which made for an easier surgery and much easier recovery. Mark can take off the bandage and shower normally starting tomorrow. He has been restricted to no heavy lifting (meaning, no lifting of children) for 2 weeks. It will be a rough couple of weeks for the whole family, that's for sure. But I'm so glad Mark is on the mend!

Mark was one of 7 patients with appendicitis yesterday. The nurse wasn't sure if it was a record or not, but it was certainly out of the norm. Is there something in the water? I think maybe I should start drinking Evian.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

we are so glad he is feeling better, let us know if there is anything we can do, we would be more than happy to take the kids for a while.
Love Aunt Mary and Uncle Jim.

Jennifer said...

I'm glad that he's home and on the mend. That goodness this didn't happen while your arm was broken! I will call later today. I was planning on calling yesterday, but my cell phone was dead and my charger at work...

Becky K said...

An impressive record he had, but at least if it had to be broken, it wasn't anything too serious!! I'm glad he's doing well, and home so quick, he'll get much better rest at home :-) Happy New Year!!

Anonymous said...

They say the appendix is unnecessary anyway. It would've been an entirely different story if his Table of Contents had ruptured. I say it's all a result of Mark being so bookish. But it's good the doctor was paged in time, and that he could read the symptoms.
Now this horrible chapter can be brought to a close.