Thursday, December 28, 2006

Mark's Record Is Broken

Mark has never broken a bone.
Mark has never gotten stitches.
Mark has never had surgery.
Er, wait.
That last one is no longer true.

It is 2:00 a.m., and I am writing to report that Mark has joined his brother Rob and our friend Erik and is now appendix-less. He had an attack of the "stomach flu" last night that lasted through the morning and the pain just wouldn't go away. And suddenly, the pain was just in one spot on the right side of his abdomin. The surgeon said it couldn't have been a more textbook case of appendicitis if Mark had tried.

So we spent the day at the hospital while our kids were under the care of another mom from my babysitting co-op, Laura, and then Mark's parents, who are flying out of town at 9:00 tomorrow morning and just left my house a few minutes ago (all of them saints, I tell you.) Tomorrow morning, since my parents and my sisters' family are all out of the state on vacation, I will drop the kids off with Mark's Aunt Linda (yet another saint) so that I can be with him at the hospital. It's amazing how much scheduling there is when someone is sick.

Mark didn't say anything too funny coming off of anesthesia, but apparently he did try to climb off the stretcher in the recovery room, telling them, "I'm going home!" [He doesn't remember saying that.] He said that he had dreams about Abby and Ethan dancing and giggling when he was in surgery, which is a very pleasant thing to dream.

It's never dull around here, is it?

Good night.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Poor Mark! I hope he feels better soon. Hang in there pal!

Trish said...

Tell Mark we're thinking about him! Hope he gets better soon.

Jennifer said...

OMG! I am so sorry and so glad that it was caught on time. Thank goodness you have so many good resources. I'm sure that my mom would be more than happy to help out, too. I'll let her know. Give Mark our best. I hope that he feels better very soon.

Anonymous said...

Did they let him take it home in a jar? Mine looks like a giant hot dog! ;P

Get better soon, buddy.