Thursday, June 22, 2006

Impromptu Prayer

Today, before nap, Abby sat on the futon in Ethan's room. "C'mon, Mama. Sit here." So Ethan and I sat down next to her. She began to create a beat by patting her legs. "Oh, the Lord is good to me..." And my daughter sang the whole of "Johnny Appleseed", one of our standard nightly prayers.
Oh, the Lord is good to me,
and so I thank the Lord,
for giving me
the things I need
the sun and the rain and the appleseed.
The Lord is good to me!
[Johnny Appleseed - Amen!]
This is Abby's first time initiating prayer (she usually participates in some of the prayer, at least, but sometimes it's like pulling teeth.) It amazes me that she decided to re-create our nightly ritual, with all of us sitting on the futon and singing our prayers.

The Lord is good to me.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Adorable!

Anonymous said...

Awww....that is so precious! That had to be an amazing feeling.

I too am drawn to adoption blogs...I have a thirst for them right now. Thank you for delurking and commenting...I am glad you are reading!