Monday, April 10, 2006

Ethan is a Big Boy

Tonight, Ethan transitioned out of the crib and into the toddler bed. How can my little boy be old enough for that?? I suppose it's about time, since he is 22 months old and has been scaling the side of his crib for a few months now. I listen to other moms I know who have kids who would NEVER attempted the crib escape, and I wonder "how did I get so lucky?" Abby climbed out the moment she was tall enough, and lucky for us she was pretty petite and wasn't successful until about 20 months (although we're confident she started trying as soon as she could stand). Ethan is far less adventuresome, but still could not ignore the siren's song beckoning him to get out of bed and go downstairs to play. The past few weeks, he has really pressed his luck. No sooner would we lay him down then we would wait for the "THUNK" and the pitter-patter of clumsy little feet. He'd always look surprised when we were there to greet him at his doorway, ready to usher him back to his baby-cage. How did we know he was out of bed?

We hyped up the big-boy bed so much it almost made Abby want to trade rooms. For the first night, the hype was successful because Ethan fell asleep without even trying to get out. An hour later, we're still trying to get his sister to stay in bed, but Ethan is zonked out. We have learned from our first parent-trainer that there is always calm before the storm... soon he will realize that the Big Boy Bed is an easier (and quieter) escape than the crib. He's a smart boy and we give him about 2-1/2 days. ;)

Nice form, huh?

Ethan helps Daddy convert the crib to a toddler bed.
Power tools and testosterone!

All Done!

Blissful slumber... so far!

3 comments:

the quists said...

Oh!...He is so darn cute!!!! I have a feeling David will be one of those adventurous types too! Good luck!!!

Jennifer said...

How did Ethan grow up so fast? He's a little boy now. Nothing baby about him. I'm very proud to call him my godson! :) BTW, Emma is almost 3 1/2 and has never once climbed out of the crib. Allison is going to follow in Ethan's footsteps. I have no doubt. ;)

CJ said...

DramaChild is a climber too, but she hasn't gotten near being able to escape her crib. She is only the size of a 12-14 month old, even though she's almost two, so I guess the small size thing helps her stay in!

I hope your peace continues.