Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Some Days I Need an Extra Dose of Patience

Me: "Abby and Ethan, it's time for a snack! Would you like Cheez-its or a fruit bar?"
Ethan: "Cheez-its!"
Abby: "Fruit bar! A green one!"
Me: "Abby... you for sure want a green fruit bar, right?"
Abby: "Yes, Mommy."
[Said snacks are distributed]
Abby: "No, Mommy! Pink fruit bar!"
[Pink fruit bar is given in exchange]
Abby (franticly): "No, Mommy! I want Cheez-its!!"
Me: "Abby, I gave you the pink fruit bar like you asked. It's already opened up. You may not have Cheez-its right now. You get to eat the yummy pink fruit bar."
Abby (throwing fruit bar across table and babbling incoherently): "ahamamfjwerr Cheez-its ughemshgtrls Mommy ryrofurkljf no fruit bar!"
[I ignore her and walk away, cleaning up as she wails]
Abby (now a blubbering ball of slobber): "aaaaaaaaaaaaah oooooooooooooh sob sob waaaaaah"
[I am still ignoring her and cleaning up]
Ethan (eyeing her uneaten snack): "Abby - I have fruit bar??"
Abby (all wailing stops immediately): "No, Ethan!! MY fruit bar."
[And Abby proceeds to eat her pink fruit bar]

7 comments:

the quists said...

Please tell me this magically stops when they turn 3!

Trista said...

I've heard 3 is WORSE than 2. We're in for it!

Jennifer said...

I hate to burst any bubbles, but Emma is almost four and still participating in such behavior... the only difference is that she's not incoherent and she calls you names and says that she isn't going to be your friend anymore... Perhaps 5 is the magical age...

Trista said...

Jennifer: I'm sure that somewhere in Abby's incoherency there was name-calling and "I'm not going to be your friend anymore!" Sometimes it's nice that she isn't speaking so clearly yet. ;)

Jennifer said...

That's exactly what I mean. Enjoy the unintelligible swear words and name calling while it lasts. ;)

At least she's not saying butt... ;)

CJ said...

Ah, the joys of sibling rivalry! Isn't it grand!

Gwen said...

Umm...3 is worse than 2! Sorry! This very things sounds just like something my Gracie would do! It's the same thing if one of the other siblings wants it then all of a sudden no way it is hers!

Sorry had to laugh but only because I have been there and will most definitely be there again!!! LOL!!!!