Saturday, October 08, 2005

Joy can be found over grilled cheese sandwiches

I am writing this blog to document some of the things I am learning (even in my "old age" of 31). My mom always says, "you learn something new every day," and she's right. I don't take enough time to stop and reflect on just how much I am changed by everyone around me. Thanks to God for helping me to be moldable.

Sometimes (well, actually, a lot of the time) my kids are the ones to teach me lessons. Today they reminded me that I need to "chill out" a bit. I can be extremely silly, and so much fun to be around, but lately I have been a little too intense with them. I worry so much about them "getting out of control" that I try to keep too tight a reign on them. My daughter is a beautiful, passionate, hilarious, and very independent (strong-willed?) two year old. My overly controlling way with her causes a strain on our relationship that makes me sad late at night after she's gone to bed and the house is quiet. But today, she and my son reminded me that life is short - so stop and enjoy the grilled cheese.

Our family and Mark's parents were at a restaurant after a long day outdoors at an apple orchard. The kids had a great time on our trip, and were very well-behaved for the 3+ hours that we were gone. As we waited for dinner to arrive, they became surly and start to act up. Ethan was fascinated with the pepper shaker, while Abby was feverishly coloring her hair, clothes and arm with the restaurant crayons. I was just starting to feel my blood pressure rise when the food arrived (thank goodness for my husband's wisdom in pre-ordering the kids' meal). Suddenly, these two disagreeable children were immediately pacified. The meal went just fine. And after eating their sandwiches, my precious children started to laugh.

This was not just any sort of laughter, mind you. This was the belly laugh that erupts from a place of pure joy. There was absolutely nothing apparent that was funny. But Abby would start to giggle, and Ethan would follow suit. This exchange continued back and forth until the 6 of us were all laughing openly, marvelling in the joy that 2 toddlers could bring. The moment reminded me that kids can get happy again over simple grilled cheese just as quickly as they can get cranky after a long day. And thank God for that.

No comments: