Wednesday, October 12, 2005

4 haircuts for $2.99

It all began in June. I went to a new haircut salon near us for my usual haircut (the Mommy-on-the-go, "flippy-uppy" haircut I have been enjoying recently). Since the salon was new, they were giving haircuts for $2.99 - what a deal! After waiting almost an hour, the stylist sat me in the chair and talked my ear off while she cut my hair.

Last week, I went in to the same salon for another haircut. My hair was looking really bad by then, as it had been 10 weeks since my previous haircut. I find it very difficult to actually get out and get a haircut, since it requires that I pre-plan and arrange for Mark to have the kids while I'm out. A haircut is something that ALWAYS happens about 3 weeks after it should.

Anyway, I had a different stylist this time (one of the salon managers), and after looking up what I had done last time in their fancy computer (1 inch off the interior, 3 inches off the bottom), she started to look at my hair. After a few minutes of playing with my hair, I started to wonder what was holding up my haircut. Why the close examination? Did I have lice or something? Was there a bald spot I didn't know about?

Finally, she said, "this is all wrong!" and showed me what my last haircut looked like. After holding up some of my layers from the front and then the back, it became obvious that my last stylist had only cut the layers on one side of my head! There was a 1 inch discrepancy ("1 inch off the interior"), and it looked really terrible. I had never noticed in the last 3 months. The stylist/manager was really appalled, and told me that I was not going to be paying for today's haircut. She then fixed my hair, and made sure that the layers were perfect. She rang me up for a free haircut, and after giving her a generous tip, I left the salon very pleased with the way that the problem was handled, and certain that I would be returning.

The next day, there was a letter in the mail from the salon, apologizing for the lack of quality. Enclosed was a coupon for a free haircut.

Yesterday, there was a second letter in the mail from the salon. The same letter as before, with the same coupon for a free haircut.

So.... one bad haircut for $2.99 has [so far] resulted in 3 free haircuts. The lesson I have learned from all of this: don't be afraid to try new places - you can really get some amazing deals!

Incidentally, I won't use the 2 free haircut coupons (I'd feel too guilty). Scratch that - I will use one to have them fix Ethan's hair (I have been butchering the back for 4 months now, and I need a little lesson in what to do!) But I will again tip generously!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Trista...I noticed the obvious 1-inch discrepancy, but decided to hold my tongue. I'll try to be more candid next time, and hope that something good will come out of it again. :-)

Anonymous said...

My mom would be so proud of you!

Love you!

Jennifer